October 24, 2011

Chances at Life

15 years ago today, I was born. 14 years ago, I was given a chance to live life. I'm not saying that if I were still living in China that I wouldn't be able to live, but over here, I can succeed and be successful. Adoption is a great thing and I am thankful that I was lucky enough to be adopted. My birth parents could have easily aborted me, but they wanted what was best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we only  have one chance to live our life. There are people that have had near death experiences and the doctors say that if they lived, they wouldn't function, but they are perfectly healthy. Those are rare cases. Adoption to me, is one of those cases. Do you agree? There are times when I wonder about what would happen if I wasn't adopted. What would my life be like, where would I be living. Or the times when I think, what if the family I live with now didn't adopt me? Who would the other people be? The Chinese told my parents that they adopted me on my birthday. My dad remembers them flying over, arriving on Friday, sightseeing on Saturday, meeting on Sunday, and getting me that night, October 24, 1997. I was one. There is a little girl who didn't realize I was Chinese and she has known me her whole life. She looked at me this summer and said, "You look Chinese!" and then a few weeks ago she said to me, "You still look Chinese!!" Well, last time I checked, I was, and always will be. But afterwhile people don't remember you were adopted, you're just "one of them!" Which maybe I'm more American, than Chinese!! Anyway, hope you're all doing well!

8 comments:

Heather S said...

Ben's sil adopted both of their kids. I never paid much attention to adoption until then. Both of their stories are heart wrenching, yet thankful they are apart of a family that loves them.
happy adoption day to you!

Janna said...

A sweet post, we have enjoyed the miracle of adoption in our family, my brother's kids and also in our little meeting. Special...

Heather S said...

I forgot to add...
Happy Birthday Emily!!

Mom Becker said...

Happy Birthday, dear Emily. Hope we get to see you soon. Have a wonderful year. Can't believe you are this old already!

Raymon and Mindi said...

Happy 15th Birthday Emily! Hope you have a good one :)

tjp said...

Happy Birthday, Emily! And happy adoption day, too. I had forgotten yours is only one day before Cambrie's.
You're right...your birth parents were brave in choosing life for you. And what a life you've had! Your life has been richly enriched and you have enriched many lives yourself. It's a beautiful circle.

Anonymous said...

Happy 15th Birthday! And Happy Adoption Day, too. It is extra special because you were adopted into a family that could give you such wonderful opportunity!

Hope you are having a special day.

Thanks for introducing yourself!

The Chairman's Wife said...

You said it perfectly! I like how you didn't ever say that you were 'lucky'. Luck has nothing to do with it. It's blessing. We actually forget our kids are adopted until you hit Gotcha Days or something like that. Happy Birthday and Gotcha Day!